Purifying the pranas leads to the blessings of the nine incarnations of the Goddess. How does this happen? When one unblocks one’s prana the elements, nadis, chakras are cleared. Five keys are used, and these are the psychic breath, psychic sound, psychic center, psychic nadis and psychic symbol. Listed below are the nine forms and their influence on the chakras.
- Shailaputri is the daughter of Himalaya, the emperor of the mountains. The seeker should focus on the Mooladhara chakra. This is the starting point of his/her spiritual discipline and ensures goal orientation and persistence.
- Brahmacharini is the name that originates from the word Brahma, that is one who observes austerities. She practiced very extreme penances. She rewards one with success and victory. The devotee is granted her blessings. The chakra to concentrate is Swadhishthana.
- Chandraghanta is the name which originates from the word Chandra (moon) and Ghanta (bell). She has a crescent moon on her forehead and her voice is like the sound of deafening, clanging bells. Her voice makes the demons shiver with terror. She grants peace and grace. She rides a tiger. Persons who pray to her become fearless. The chakra to concentrate is Manipura.
- Kooshmanda is the name which originates from Ku (little); Usma is warmth, heat or energy and Anda means the cosmic egg or universe. It is believed that when there was only darkness all around, she created the universe with her Sankalpa as a mental project. Her devotees get rid of all diseases of the body and mind. The chakra to concentrate is Anahata.
- Skandamata, rides a lion and she is the mother of Skanda, whom she holds in her lap. It is said by pleasing her even a fool can become a wise sage. The path to salvation is opened. The chakra to concentrate is Visshudhi.
- Katyani was born to a sage Katyana, who worshipped her, and she was able to rid the universe of evil. Her worship leads one to practice Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha. The chakra to concentrate is Ajna.
- Kaalratri is the destroyer of darkness and ignorance. She rides a donkey, and her appearance is terrifying. Prayers offered to her leads to attainment of siddhis if that is what one wants. The devotee becomes pure and free of sins and karmas. The chakra to concentrate is the Sahasra.
- Mahagauri remains always eight years old. Those who adore her are purified in all aspects.
- Siddhidatri is named so because Shiva by worshipping her was granted all the siddhis. The devotee is eternally blessed by her.
How can we accomplish the worship of the nine forms of the Goddess? It is possible by practicing Tattwa Shuddhi, Kriya Yoga and Prana Yoga.
54 rounds of pranayama
Let us practice Samvrit pranayama. Samvrit pranayama is the balancing pranayama. We are clearing our pranas and when this is made possible, our tattwas, nadis, chakra is purified through the psychic breath and sound. Close your eyes. Become aware of your spontaneous breath. Be still. Chant Aum three times. Now when you inhale, breathe to the count of 5, pause to the count of 5, exhale to the count of 5, hold the breath to the count of 5. This is one round.
Practice 54 rounds, counting backwards. It you make an error, start from the beginning again. Use the mantra So Ham, and practice ujjayi pranayama. So Ham is the sound of your breath, ujjayi is when you contract your throat, during the pause, and when exhaling there is a gentle sound like a baby’s snore. Chant Aum three times at the end of the practice. Please attempt the sadhana and observe the change in yourself and your relationships with others.
Aim Hrim Klim