Swami Satyananda Saraswati narrated a story. Once upon a time there was a thunderous sound in the firmament. The sound was Da repeated three times. The sages and seers who were assembled heard the uproar and asked what the sound indicated. They were told that it meant three things: be restrained: be compassionate and learn to give. Continue reading
Prasad, bhet, akshat and daan are different names for giving.
Daan means charity. Any giving by a householder is known as daan.
Prasad means an offering of goodwill. Any giving that happens in a temple, church or ashram is known as prasad. This offering or present carries good wishes for one’s health, happiness, prosperity and peace. Continue reading
- Tell my friends that I care for them. I am there for them.
- Tell my parents separately that I appreciate how they have raised me.
- Share my cache of chocolates at my workplace.
- Give things which have been in my closet for years away.
- Take my dog for an extra walk.
- Give a surprise gift to someone.
- Make a meal and distribute it to the homeless.
- Indulge myself, go to a spa, have a massage, and a facial.
- Make a change in my lifestyle.
- Venerate Mother Earth. She is giving and giving.